Securing The Antique Jewelry
24th October 2018 | India
Antique jewelry are no less than a treasure, also securing them is as important as safe guarding one. LA POLO understands the fact, thus, we are here to tell you ‘How To Take Care Of Your Antique Jewelry?’
History is not made in a day, and they are not just random days of past, instead are days of rich legacy, hardship, memory and glowing fables of humanity. History is, in fact, a proof of bonded tale giving our existence a gracious reason. One such aspect of history is antique jewelry. The antique jewelry are not at all the modern contemporary fashionable pieces into existence today, they are instead delved in the complexities of the depth of the pastness. Not any jewelry can be claimed as the ever auspicious antique jewelry, the ones which have marked the existence of human history own the glory of being titled as one. The jewelries who complete a 100 years own the designation of being antique jewelry. Antique jewelry have been remarked by many as deformed pieces, while the fate to these pieces is quite contrary. Budding from the era of noble ages, these jewelry mark completion of a circle, revealing a lot of the time and its pastness.
To own such pieces is a fortune in itself, but the fact is that they tend to decay making it essential to safeguard. Thus, LA POLO is here to give you tips on How To Take Care For Your Antique Jewelry.
First, let us start understanding fact that antique jewelries have seen generations passion and decades dying out. It totally come as an obvious situation when it is kept in frame that antique jewelry deform due to is age. But does that mean that they are not good to be used? Possibly you were wrong till date. Let us start from the easiest ways of cleaning these antique pieces.
HOW TO CLEAN THE ANTIQUE JEWELRY?
Jewelries are made up of a number of metals, and every metal needs a different kind of care. Thus, here is to you, a complete guide for each type of metal and gemstone with the tips to keep your antique jewelry entact.
Gold is a metal that is readily available and stands amongst the favorite for all the women. Also, they are the easiest to be cleaned amongst all the metals. Gold does not require any such special care. They can be washed with mild dish soap or jewelry cleaners, and they are good to go.
The second popular metal is Silver. It isn’t hidden from anyone that Silver tends to tarnish over time as soon as they are exposed to sulfur. It is advised to get rid of the tarnish with help of a mild dish soap or jewelry cleaners.
The nature of platinum is same as that of Gold. therefore, the same is advised for the platinum jewelries.
All the gemstones are not same, and thus require a different kind of care. Although diamonds, ruby, sapphire, rald, emeralds, garnets, topaz, aquamarine, tourmaline, amethyst, citrine, quartz, cameos, intaglios, carved gemstone can be taken care of in similar manner. All of these gemstones should be kept away from any kind of harsh chemicals. Mild cleaning with dish soap or jewelry cleanser will be good to go. Steaming or burning must be strictly avoided. Other gemstones like pearls, coral, shell, turquoise, opals, lazuli, lapis, moonstone, peridot, and glass paste stones should be taken extra care.
“They should be the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off.”
These must not be cleaned by dish soaps, instead a towel and sensitive as well as soft professional cleanser is the only thing that is to be used when cleaning these gemstones. Remember the saying well!
HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THE ANTIQUE JEWELRY?
The next important step is to understand that you take proper care of your antique stuff. Perplexed of how is it different from cleaning them? LA POLO is here to drive away all your queries. Here, we enlist to you the Do’s and Do Not for your rare piece.
- The ring is bound to get deformed due to its age. The best way to get if it is in good condition is to take proper look of the pieces.
- The antique jewelry must be checked form time to time. One way of doing this is to take the piece up to your ear. Tap it lightly and focus if there is any rattling sound. If yes, take it to the nearest jewelry store and get it fix as soon as possible.
- Keep a thorough check of the antique pieces by taking care of there diamonds or gemstones. It should be cared that they do not fall off. If any of these are found to be loose, get them fix before losing them.
- Take your jewelry for time to time cleaning to professional jewelry makers or cleaners.
THE DO NOT
- Do not wear your antique jewelry while doing any hard job, for instance, mountain climbing, gym, etc, as they can cause a dent in them deforming their actual shape, shine and grace.
- Avoid bringing the antique jewelry in contact with any harsh chemicals. Clean them with either dish soap or jewelry cleanser.
- Do not wear your antique jewelry when going underwater, or on a day when you are going to spent a lot of near or in water.
- Avoid sleeping with your antique jewelry on, as it can tangle with your hair or clothing causing damage to them.
- Do not use ultrasonic cleaner for the antique jewelry, they can damage them vigorously.
- Avoid wearing the stuff while doing anything messy.
- While polishing silver take notice that you do not paint the gemstones too.
HOW TO STORE THE ANTIQUE JEWELRY?
The last thing is STORAGE. Everything goes down to zero if this last step is done wrong. Ignorance for this very step is not the key at all.
Jewelry if kept ll together can tangle with each other, which can cause deformation and breakage. It is best to keep each piece in its own case. It will avoid the tangles and also will save time.